Though low in calories, broccoli is one of the most nutrient-dense foods. It is especially rich in vitamin C. A one-cup serving of broccoli contains about the same amount of protein as a cup of corn or rice but less than one-third of the calories.
Broccoli is an excellent source of vitamins K, C and A, as well as folic acid and fibre. It is also a very good source of phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and vitamins B6 and E.
It contains substances called glucosinolates, which have powerful anti-cancer properties, and the carotenoid lutein, which is a potent antioxidant and is protective against macular degeneration in eyes.
Recipe for Purple Sprouting Broccoli Salad with Tahini Mustard Dressing
- Broccoli (cut into florets). Ordinary broccoli can also be used.
- Sugar snap peas
- 2 red onions (cut in rings)
- ½ cup sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp apple juice concentrate
- Boiling water as required
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add a pinch of salt
- Boil the vegetables one at a time for 1-3 minutes, depending on texture and size, leaving them crunchy and crisp, keeping the ones with the strongest colour and flavour to the end. When the red onion has been boiled (1-2 minutes), rinse under cold water, put on a plate and sprinkle immediately with umeboshi vinegar which will help to maintain the red colour
- If the vegetables are not to be eaten immediately, rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking process and maintain their colour and texture.
- Mix ingredients for the dressing and serve on the side.
If you have enjoyed this post and would like to keep in touch please sign up for my free email newsletter.