“Westley shrugged. "Welcome to the middle of nowhere. I'm more likely to come home to find someone's left a pie on my counter than to find my television's missing. Although—" He winced.
"What?" Jaylen looked ready to fight whatever threat had made its way into Westley's home.
"Last year the zucchini crop was really good and somebody left three bushels in my kitchen."
"Oh." Jaylen deflated. So there was an enemy he wasn't a match for.
"There's still zucchini bread in the freezer," Westley offered. "If you're hungry.”
- Ryan Loveless, Wolf Hunter
So what on earth can you do with all those courgettes/zucchinis?
Here's a real crowd-pleasing recipe, with plenty of scope for modification.
Courgette (zucchini) and tofu fritters with a creamy avocado, cashew and lime dip are tasty and satisfying and ideal for summer picnics, packed lunches, snacks and to serve as a main meal with a green salad.
Avocado, cashew and lime dip
• ½ cup cashews
• 1 small avocado
• Juice of ½ small lime
• Small pinch of salt if required
1. Soak cashew nuts in water for 1-2 hours. While the cashews are soaking, prepare the courgette (zucchini) fritters following the instructions below.
2. When the cashews have finished soaking, drain them. Cut avocado in half, remove the stone, scoop out flesh and blend with cashews, adding lime juice and salt to taste
Courgette (zucchini) and tofu fritters
• 2 medium courgettes (zucchini)
• 1 small white onion (grated) or 3 spring onions (scallions) (finely chopped)
• 2-3 small new potatoes
• ½ tsp salt
• 60g/3oz firm tofu
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp ground paprika
• 1 tsp lime zest
• 1-2 tbsp fresh lime juice
• 1 tsp apple juice concentrate
• 1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 2 tbsp warm water – this acts as a binding agent instead of using egg. You could also use 1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp water.
• 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
• 3-4 tbsp chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour (you can use regular wheat flour)
1. Grate courgettes (zucchini) and onion into a bowl (or add chopped spring onions (scallions)
2. Peel potatoes and grate into bowl with courgettes (zucchini) and onion
3. Sprinkle grated vegetables with salt and allow to sit for 30 minutes to draw out the juices. Squeeze out excess liquid with your hands and put mixture in a bowl
4. Grate tofu into the bowl with the grated courgettes (zucchini), potatoes and onion
5. Add ground cumin, ground coriander and ground paprika, lime zest, lime juice, apple juice concentrate and fresh coriander
6. Carefully fold in ground flax seed and water mixture and the flour
7. Shape into small flat rounds and gently pan-fry in a good quality oil that won’t burn. I used rice bran oil; olive oil would be fine.
8. Finish making the avocado dip (see above)
Garnish with fresh herbs and serve with the avocado, cashew and lime dip and a green salad
You can also visit my website and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and LinkedIn.